Photo: Eric Woehler
The Australian Antarctic Data Centre (AADC) is the part of the Australian Antarctic Division responsible for storing, managing and providing access to data resulting from the Australian Antarctic program’s activities in the Antarctic and subantarctic.
This includes a vast amount of data on the Heard Island and McDonald Islands (HIMI) region, which ranges from maps and records of scientific publications to metadata (data about data!).
Much of this data is freely available to the public via the AADC website.
By clicking on the links below you can search the AADC's databases for data relating to the HIMI region.
If you wish to search the AADC databases manually, or for data relating to the Australian Antarctic program's activities in areas other than around HIMI, you can go to the AADC search page.
Place names in the Heard Island region, with descriptive information about their location and origin.
Search for maps from the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) map catalogue.
- Heard Island map series
- Australian maps covering the Heard region: large scale (up to 100 000); medium scale (100 000 to 250 000); or small scale (above 250 000)
- Maps (from all countries) covering the Heard region: large scale (up to 100 000); medium scale (100 000 to 250 000); or small scale ( above 250 000)
State of environment indicators
Environmental indicators used to monitor and report on the state of the environment in the Heard Island region, as part of the Australian Antarctic Division's System for Indicator Management and Reporting (SIMR).
Antarctic program publications
Heard Island bibliography
Search an extensive list of Heard Island references for a particular term or author.
AAD library monographs
Search for Heard Island references held in the Australian Antarctic Division library (type Heard into the 'Word or Phrase' box).
Public summaries of all current and previous Australian Antarctic Science (AAS) projects in the Heard Island region. Use the Current and previous projects page for additional searches.
Details of artefacts recorded at Heard Island.
- Heard Island species checklist.
- Search for species observations
- Species seen: fauna; flora; or all in the region.
- Interactive map of animal tracking data from 5 species tracked using satellite tags during the 2003/04 Australian Antarctic program Heard Island expedition.
List of satellite images from the satellite image catalogue.
See the full list of scientific databases for additional resources.
General search for Data Centre items containing the word Heard.