News and features
- New HIMI Management Plan (23 May 13)
On 24 August 2012 the HIMI Marine Reserve Management Plan 2005-2012 lapsed. It is the Australian Antarctic Division's objective to finalise and implement… more
- Seen on Heard Island (03 Jun 11)
Penguins and elephant seals took centre-stage in timelapse images from a remote monitoring camera installed on subantarctic Heard Island.
The solar-powered digital camera… more
- State of the Parks Report 2007/08 (01 Aug 08)
Every year the Director of National Parks prepares a 'State of the Parks' report, as part of the Annual Report for the Department… more
- Bringing Heard Island closer to home (01 Feb 08)
Two exciting initiatives are bringing isolated Heard Island and McDonald Islands closer to your home.
A new Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) project to… more
- Volcanic activity at McDonald Island (01 Mar 05)
After some 75 000 years lying dormant and home only to seals, penguins and other seabirds, McDonald Island commenced erupting in December 1992.… more
- Heard Island in focus (01 Sep 04)
The Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) periodically publishes the Australian Antarctic Magazine to showcase the activities and achievements of the Australian Antarctic program. The… more
- Science Expedition to Heard Island 2003/04 (01 Apr 04)
During the summer of 2003-04 the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) supported a scientific expedition of the Australian Antarctic program to Heard Island. The… more
- HIMI Marine Reserve Management Plan in force (01 Oct 02)
Following approval by the Minister for the Environment and Heritage and consideration in both Houses of Parliament, the Heard Island and McDonald Islands… moreThis page was last modified on 28 February 2005.